Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Professors

       I have decided to go back to school after 20 + years. I started out slow, with just two classes. While flipping through the choices of professors, my mind is screaming in fear that I will choose the worst ones and have a bad starting experience back into college.
       Once i get started with my classes, I find that I made some pretty good choices without any input from other Lone Star students. I have one male professor and one female professor.
       I have labeled my math professor the "Knowledgable One". She is prompt with the class starting on time and you stay till she is finished. She has her spot in the class that she goes to. She has her same notebook and marker that she uses every time. She is loud even though the classroom is not that big. Do not talk in her class or she will let you know her irritation. She is approachable, but to a certain point. If you come to her after class about something you do not understand, she will explain it twice, then you are on your own. She does smile, laugh, and joke with the class, but only for a second, then it is back to business. I am impressed with her teaching skills. She shows the problems step by step and in different forms. This gives her students options to find out what works best for them.
       I have labeled my english professor "The Overwhelmer". He starts class before its scheduled time, making you feel like you are interrupting and then you are rushing to sit down, so that you can catch up. He schedules a lot of homework and projects. I know this is to better me as a student but I am overwhelmed with what is expected and trying to learn what he is teaching. Unlike Knowledgeable One, he is soft spoken, he walks around the room, and will approach his students. He is young and very hip with technology, pushing us to learn and use different areas when writing a paper. I guess this is why i also feel overwhelmed. I am not a computer person, I am older than he is, and have been taught old school ways.
       Both my professors are very like-able.  They both teach high school, then come to the college in the evening. It is obvious that they love to teach and enjoy what they do. I am very fortunate to have both of them as my first semester choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment